• Hello Guest
Search
May 21, 2018, 09:59:21 AM

Author Topic: Ableton Help Thread  (Read 7702 times)

February 14, 2011, 08:38:38 PM

A'damn

• Goa
  • Elite Doofer
  • The Emperor Strikes Back
    • goaconstrictor.com
Hola, I have a question about Ableton and could use a quick answer.

I have some volume automation done on some channels and want to raise/lower the entire strand at once leaving the relative changes intact. I know that I can click on each segment and raise/lower that one segment, but is there a way to raise/lower all segments at once? Maybe with a command key while selecting the strand?

If you know the answer, leave it below!

Thank you
=)
> GoaConstrictor.Com | TeacherAdam.Com | The Tales of Fried Kale <
de gustibus non est disputandum
February 15, 2011, 09:14:41 AM
Reply #1

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
first of all, regarding volume automation:  do not use the channel fader for this, it makes adjusting the volume of the entire track a pain in the ass.  Drop a 'utility' on the channel and use that for volume automating as you can do the volume automation just once, then mix the overall volume of the track in question.

I am confused about your terms 'strand' and 'segment' -

I am assuming you have a bunch of audio tracks, and you want to adjust the volume of a couple of them at the same time, all keeping the same level relative to one another?  So if you have one at -5, one at -10, and you select both of them and move the level up +2, your first one is at -3 and second one is at -8?

If you want to group some tracks together, select the tracks you want grouped and hit CTRL+G, then you can adjust the group fader

If you don't want to do that but want to adjust multiple volume levels at once, select your first track, then hold CTRL and select another one (so they're highlighted in yellow blah blah) and then when you adjust the volume on one of them all highlighted tracks will move

Is this what you're looking for?
February 15, 2011, 09:18:40 AM
Reply #2

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
oh, by the way...if you already have all the volume automation on the individual track's master volume, right click the volume fader, click 'show automation in new lane' - then drop your utility into your track, right click on its gain knob and click see automation in new lane as well.

You should now have two automation lanes under your track.  Left click into the volume fader automation, click home, hold down shift and hit end - highlighting the entire automation lane.  Copy that, now left click on your utility lane, hit home, paste.  now delete your automation from your volume fader.
February 15, 2011, 01:09:00 PM
Reply #3

Veracohr

• Seasoned Stomper
    • Veracohr.com
Arrangement or Session view? I don't work much in the Arrangement view, but I assume it works the same as Session, in which you can just Select All, grab any point and drag.
February 15, 2011, 02:26:05 PM
Reply #4

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
hm, by segments do you mean clips?  If so, same concept of selecting multiple clips at a time applies.  Select one clip, hold ctrl (or whatever devil keys you mac people use) and select others.  Now if you double click on one of the ones you have selected you will see the clip view pop up in the lower right hand corner, but the borders will be striped to indicate that you are looking at multiple clip properties, and you can then adjust volume for multiple clips...

this is also really handy for doing follow actions, changing warping modes etc.
February 15, 2011, 04:24:19 PM
Reply #5

A'damn

• Goa
  • Elite Doofer
  • The Emperor Strikes Back
    • goaconstrictor.com
Here is a graph (pretend it is your audio file):

If I click on any one of those line segments, it will raise/lower that segment. I want to raise/lower the entire line graph from the y-axis to the end of the song.

I've never heard of this "utility" that you are speaking of Will, but I will go searching for it. If it makes adjusting automation more simple, this will be a good tool to know of and use.

Thank you for the help!
> GoaConstrictor.Com | TeacherAdam.Com | The Tales of Fried Kale <
de gustibus non est disputandum
February 15, 2011, 07:47:56 PM
Reply #6

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
  • Ohm shakalaka shakalaka chika bOhm
in logic there is a different pointer for grabbing automation.  i tried to open ableton here but just realized that my ableton is not working, so sorry if i can't give a better idea. 

i think that you can highlight the area that you wish to effect, then click on a point and drag that whole area up... does this work?  when i say 'highlight', meaning to click and drag from left to right over the area of the track that you wish to effect the automation.
February 15, 2011, 07:55:15 PM
Reply #7

Veracohr

• Seasoned Stomper
    • Veracohr.com
February 15, 2011, 08:12:00 PM
Reply #8

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
yay i was right!!!!  and without looking!  nice job with the visuals, verachor...!

if anyone wants me to do ableton lessons without looking at ableton i am totally into it... 57$ an hour
February 15, 2011, 09:25:57 PM
Reply #9

byron

• Bad guy
  • Elite Doofer
  • Does this microscope make my butt look big?
Do you prefer to be paid in monopoly money or in Zimbabwe trillions?   :P
February 17, 2011, 03:47:31 PM
Reply #10

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
57$ monopoly money, that wouldn't pay rent on a couple houses at marvins gardens! 
February 18, 2011, 03:42:27 AM
Reply #11

psyren

• Elite Doofer
now that this thread is posted, i am becoming quite curious to ask what everyone's idea of a typical live set would look like in clip view for them?  :D  how many channels? mostly audio instead of midi so as to conserve cpu?  stuff like that?  etc?   :P ;D :D :) ;)
soundcloud.com/antidentity
triponacci.bandcamp.com/music
February 18, 2011, 10:11:09 AM
Reply #12

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
I'm still in the process of thinking about what type of live setup I'm going to be doing, but there seems to be a pretty wide range depending on how live you want to be.

First of all, have you seen the Tom Cosm video where he shows his method for cutting one of his own tracks up and then putting it into session?  That's a pretty good overview of a method that's based around triggering audio clips.  You can find it on his Vimeo, its called "moving from the studio to live" or something...if you google Tom Cosm Vimeo and go to the 3rd or 4th page of links its in there somewhere, i'd link it direct but its blocked here at work.

A pretty standard way of doing it is to have all the tracks in your song organized into stems (kick/bass, percussion, leads, atmospheres, fx, etc - whatever you want) - then mix them down, then cut them into loops, paste them into the session view, add follow actions, cut out empty clips....then you can re-arrange your track on the fly.  Most people I see say that they have between 6-8 stems.

However, a lot of psy producers don't like that approach as they spend a ridiculous amount of time in the studio making sure that the track flows and develops in a precise way and don't want to chop it up and mangle it to hell...so there's the approach of DJing your own tracks and then jamming over the top with your Leads or maybe doing live FX work with sends and whatnot.  This way you can use your mastered tracks so you don't have to worry about volume like you might have to if you were playing unmastered stems (though you can do some light 'mastering' to basically just boost the volume so all your tracks in the aforementioned method sound loud enough)

February 21, 2011, 12:32:30 PM
Reply #13

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
the secret society live set is pretty much all audio.  i have 8 tracks across, and probably about 200 or 300 clips down.  we use a fair amount of follow actions, keeping us moving from one jam section to another.  its a little hard to describe how we break down our tracks in logic for ableton, but that is really the secret in the sauce. 
February 21, 2011, 10:29:09 PM
Reply #14

Veracohr

• Seasoned Stomper
    • Veracohr.com
the secret society live set is pretty much all audio.  i have 8 tracks across, and probably about 200 or 300 clips down.  we use a fair amount of follow actions, keeping us moving from one jam section to another.  its a little hard to describe how we break down our tracks in logic for ableton, but that is really the secret in the sauce.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is: you've got this big list of clips as you say; how much of that is you choosing when to switch to the next scene/clip? Because if you just had everything playing through automatically while you twisted some knobs or such, there's really no point in having a bit list of clips.