• Hello Guest
Search
November 21, 2018, 03:44:36 AM

Author Topic: Ableton Help Thread  (Read 8085 times)

April 23, 2011, 07:36:06 PM
Reply #45

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
uhh...the method I described above lets you copy any automation into session view clips :)

its really easy
April 24, 2011, 10:28:47 PM
Reply #46

Veracohr

• Seasoned Stomper
    • Veracohr.com
Argh! This fucking software is pissing me off to no end!

Anyone have any idea why, when recording a Session sequence into Arrangement, the clips would just stop playing at random measures? I hit record, start the scene that begins, and at some point later all clips stop playing. The counter is still counting, but all clips stop at once. And it's not at the same measure every time. One time I'll do it and it will stop at measure 27; then I'll undo the recording, start again, and it will do it again but at measure 72 or something like that.
April 24, 2011, 11:51:21 PM
Reply #47

TyranxX

• Stomper Seasoning
  • Seasoned Stomper
  • Dock the ships and attack!
@ver   make sure your volumes are not being automated, sounds like extra information got recorded in your arrangement view...   also make sure the midi clip you posted is aligned properly
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:56:17 PM by TyranxX »
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
´¯`·, ¨¨¨¨¨¨ ,·´¯`
 '·. ¨•`·. ¨ .·´• ¨.·'
 ¨`:--·´ ¨ `·--:´¨
--¨¨`·.¨ ' ' ¨.·´¨¨--
April 24, 2011, 11:55:21 PM
Reply #48

TyranxX

• Stomper Seasoning
  • Seasoned Stomper
@will   i know i can record perfect into arrangement...   its just i have tasted the forbidden fruit of recording automations live in session view and there is no rehab clinic in town which will eliminate my addition to having ableton fully functional.
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
´¯`·, ¨¨¨¨¨¨ ,·´¯`
 '·. ¨•`·. ¨ .·´• ¨.·'
--¨¨`·.¨ ' ' ¨.·´¨¨--
April 24, 2011, 11:57:16 PM
Reply #49

TyranxX

• Stomper Seasoning
  • Seasoned Stomper
@squee, gawd damnit ableton.
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
´¯`·, ¨¨¨¨¨¨ ,·´¯`
 '·. ¨•`·. ¨ .·´• ¨.·'
--¨¨`·.¨ ' ' ¨.·´¨¨--
April 25, 2011, 09:07:28 AM
Reply #50

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
@ ver - if you are recording anything from session into arrangement, make sure you don't have any legacy/old automation in the system before recording.  The easiest way to do this is to go into arrangement view, click anywhere, ctrl+A to select everything and then delete it.  This will delete any midi clips (duh) and any automation of any parameters in your system.

@ justin - Yes, recording automation into session directly is cool.  However, there is a known limitation of the system that you can't record all parameters.  You have a couple of options...

1)  Use my workaround method, which while not perfect doesn't require any external programs or going outside of ableton.  It just requires a couple more clicks. 

2)  Use your MIDI out/back in method, or recording to audio clips...which involves a bunch of semi-complicated midi routing and external programs...and I remain unconvinced that it would work as well as #1 as well as being much more complicated.

I still don't know if you are grasping what I am trying to say.  You want your automation that you tweak live on the fly to be inside your session clips.  There is a way to do this.  Yes, it involves arrangement view momentarily.  I see that as being much more efficient than some crazy MIDI routing that might not even work and will suck a shitload of your time regardless.

Limitations are not always bad things!  Think of the trance pioneers making music 15 years ago - they sure as fuck didn't have session view automation recording and they did just fine ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:40:00 AM by willsanquil »
April 25, 2011, 04:05:30 PM
Reply #51

Veracohr

• Seasoned Stomper
    • Veracohr.com
@ ver - if you are recording anything from session into arrangement, make sure you don't have any legacy/old automation in the system before recording.  The easiest way to do this is to go into arrangement view, click anywhere, ctrl+A to select everything and then delete it.  This will delete any midi clips (duh) and any automation of any parameters in your system.

Yeah, I did that every time I started the recording over. There's gotta be something funky with this file; both the problems I mentioned are with the same one.
April 27, 2011, 06:06:33 PM
Reply #52

LORD ZOOPY THE TERRIBLE

• Elite Doofer
  • not fucking around
have you guys tried reading the manual?>
it's great.
May 02, 2011, 01:49:24 PM
Reply #53

TyranxX

• Stomper Seasoning
  • Seasoned Stomper
@will..................... @will @will @will @willllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

yes dude, i know you can record fully into arrangement, but I would rather penetrate a pigeon with my man steed than not be able to record them in session too.
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
´¯`·, ¨¨¨¨¨¨ ,·´¯`
 '·. ¨•`·. ¨ .·´• ¨.·'
--¨¨`·.¨ ' ' ¨.·´¨¨--
May 03, 2011, 08:57:02 AM
Reply #54

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
You are hurting my brain.  You can't do what you want 100%.  You can either work around it...or just complain about it ;)
May 03, 2011, 09:44:55 AM
Reply #55

byron

• Bad guy
  • Elite Doofer
  • Does this microscope make my butt look big?
Either that, or talk to Nina about getting access to some Pigeons.
May 03, 2011, 10:54:14 AM
Reply #56

Nina

• Elite Doofer
There's still plenty left :p
June 24, 2011, 04:02:20 AM
Reply #57

mudpeople

• Inexperienced Dancer
  • modifier of subclarity
    • forkitis of the eye (trax)
After frustration at Live 8, I went back to using 7.  Not only does it have the spiffy warp Ive known and loved for years, but it runs 6 24 bit WAV loop channels, a rewired Renoise, 4 midi channels (active) and master channel fx simultaneously, on a 2.6 P4 with 1gb, with less than 60% peak CPU use.  8 wouldnt let me run more than 2 midi channels at once without falling over.   Im running on a dual 2.5 ghz with 3gb now so its not an issue, but I just cant give up that warp...

I realized that teh things that Live 8 offers, aren't things I use most of the time, and for my purposes (live and dj) 7 does what i need it to.

Just some food for thought. 

Live to me is not an all-in-one solution, actually Ive come to believe there IS NO all in one solution (except maybe omnisphere :P).  Live does the live set, Renoise does the bulk of work, and Reaper does my mixdowns.  All offer features that the others don't.  (Reaper outs 64bit FP at 5x realtime)

whats this about pigeons now?  and how can i get one?  ive had this wonderful squab recipe sitting around without a pigeon.  Its lonely :P
"The more I examine the universe and the details of its architecture, the more evidence I find that the universe in some sense must have known we were coming."
-Freeman Dyson
June 25, 2011, 12:33:11 AM
Reply #58

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
  • Ohm shakalaka shakalaka chika bOhm
ya i am kind of with you on this...

i kind of got to the point where i am comfy with the warping in live 8, but i don't like it as much at all.  warping is most of what i use live for, so the change in this area was really difficult for me to deal with.  i have just been looking for them to get the sync down with multiple computers while running 3rd party plugins.  its been awhile since i have tried, but not being able to use 3rd party effects without screwing up your clock didnt make me happy.

come over to our place, we will get you the freshest pidgeon you have ever tasted, you can even pick it out before you/us shoot it
June 25, 2011, 03:47:06 AM
Reply #59

mudpeople

• Inexperienced Dancer
  • modifier of subclarity
    • forkitis of the eye (trax)
Ill take the one with the face like Mob Barkley and a mouth like a motortrike

Im trying to put together a 'DJ Mixing with Live' tutorial, and trying to make it as cross-compatible as possible for everyone, which means LIVE 8 REFRESHER COURSE :P
"The more I examine the universe and the details of its architecture, the more evidence I find that the universe in some sense must have known we were coming."
-Freeman Dyson