• Hello Guest
Search
November 21, 2018, 04:16:32 AM

Author Topic: Ableton Help Thread  (Read 8088 times)

April 18, 2013, 10:20:09 AM
Reply #75

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
ableton employs 150 people, they just released a piece of software that costs from $200-$800, a piece of hardware that costs $600 that was instantly sold out the moment it was announced and probably will be so for a year at least if not more.   They are incredibly popular and are not in any way shape or form on the cusp of eating it, so when I do buy stuff these days its either hardware that I can't emulate in software, or software that is reasonably priced and put out by small developers.  I love ableton, but I think it is exorbitantly priced.  $800 is way way too fucking much for software.  $600 for the Push hardware is much more reasonable and I will be taking them up on that.

For instance, the new db glitch (Glitch2) is wonderful and its made by only one guy, it costs $50.  If I throw $800 at ableton for their suite, it totally doesn't matter.  It's just another plink in the bucket so to speak, it doesn't personally effect anyone on a significant level.  If I give one guy $50 that makes a big difference for him.

Anyways, I'm not sure about in the Days Of Kevin, but ableton is fine now for sure and while I still intend to eventually purchase their suite I have many more things on my priority list right now that are more important :)

that new novation bass station 2 looks FUCKING SWEET
April 18, 2013, 10:36:36 AM
Reply #76

A'damn

• Goa
  • Elite Doofer
  • The Emperor Strikes Back
    • goaconstrictor.com
I'm just saying, they are not nearly as Ballin' as you claim, your ethical reasoning is flimsy, and the day you get paid to release your music, you best be buying that software.
> GoaConstrictor.Com | TeacherAdam.Com | The Tales of Fried Kale <
de gustibus non est disputandum
April 18, 2013, 10:46:58 AM
Reply #77

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
You act like I don't buy any software.  I specifically don't buy Ableton software for a couple of different reasons, but I have spent over $1000 on music software in the past 3 years and an additional $6000 on physical gear for my studio, so its not like I'm just pirating software all day and spending all my money on weed or something.

In addition I help bring many new people to the ableton platform and have expressed multiple times in this thread alone my intent to eventually buy it when circumstances allow for it...so I am confused as to why you feel the need to re-iterate your opinion that I buy the software :)
July 19, 2013, 01:41:04 AM
Reply #78

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
  • Ohm shakalaka shakalaka chika bOhm
Is there any way in Ableton to see the actual DB levels of individual tracks, or the output track, for that matter?  The only way that I have seen is to see it inside of plugins.  I can't imagine that this is the case, but I have not yet seen an Ableton setup with numbers showing on the tracks indicating volume output. 
July 19, 2013, 06:49:23 AM
Reply #79

byron

• Bad guy
  • Elite Doofer
  • Does this microscope make my butt look big?
If your move the border at the edge of the clips up far enough, it will give you a peak level reading for the track as it plays, but the only realtime number for actual dB is the vu next to the slider.
July 20, 2013, 12:32:35 AM
Reply #80

squee.isme

• Elite Doofer
  • Ohm shakalaka shakalaka chika bOhm
Doesn't that irk you in the most terrible way?!!  I guess it's like you just feel the levels and that should be right, but that is not how it ever worked for me.  My tracks didn't sound right until I started following some rules with levels that I don't think I could have learned as well in Ableton.  Thoughts...?
July 20, 2013, 07:30:45 AM
Reply #81

byron

• Bad guy
  • Elite Doofer
Yes it does.  Seems like there should be an easy button for setting the volume level of a track, like maximize, but it should be able to do a silent analysis of the track, post effects and give you rms level as well as peak for a given selection on the track.  Just pick a busy spot in the song, and hit the imaginary gain analysis button, and the set your levels.  Kind of like the headphones method of DJing, only faster and more accurate.

As it is, I run my cue channel through an external DJ mixer at line level with the gain set to a fixed point (I use exactly 6) and then set the volume on the clip view.  I also plug the headphones into the DJ Mixer rather than my sound card, because it makes it easier to monitor both the Master out and the cue out more easily.
July 20, 2013, 07:34:40 AM
Reply #82

byron

• Bad guy
  • Elite Doofer
Worth noting that I am totally a newb on abelton, and may have missed better processes.