• Hello Guest
Search
October 16, 2018, 01:29:04 PM

Author Topic: Evolution - Psytrance/Techno Monthly  (Read 5127 times)

January 14, 2013, 01:16:28 AM

Sir Trancelot

• Elite Doofer
  • Pop-n-Lock Psy Ninja
Honestly, I didn't really want to go out to this. In the middle of a cold, my energy was super low. But...more than a couple friends were egging me on throughout the night. Hell, I didn't even have to drive this time.

Yeah!! Ended up making it out anyway with Froggy and Elle (to whom I thank for driving). Just about the entire Portland psy mafia was there. It was packed like I had never seen it. I probably gave about 20 different people a hug, and possibly my cold (don't say I didn't warn ya if you have one now!)

Something else happened that was noteworthy. I honestly have not seen the crowd get so loud with appreciation in a long time, couple years. It was purely rockin'! Even though I missed Will's set, I'm certain he got mad props too. But peeps went practically insane during GorillaDust and Herbie's sets. It must be that cold winter weather that has everyone fiending for the next outdoor.

Everyone, thank you very much. Aurora especially. And Cheylene. :D I don't know how I found my energy, but I managed to dance as if I didn't have that cold at all! Been falling on harder times in the past three months, emotionally, financially, and I don't know what I would do without my psy family. <3 <3 <3
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:16:38 AM by A'damn »
Take a stance and begin your dance to mind bending trance beats. Prepare your ears for an NRGized treat!
January 14, 2013, 08:39:54 AM
Reply #1

bex

• Elite Doofer
  • Lover of Psytrance
Well I wasn't there, so it could not have been that great.  ;)

J/k sounds like everyone had a great time, maybe I can make it out to one more before I am human milk factory.
January 14, 2013, 08:43:16 AM
Reply #2

byron

• Bad guy
  • Elite Doofer
  • Does this microscope make my butt look big?
Was fun.  I was tired and grumpy when I left the house.  When I got home I was even more tired but way less grumpy.
January 14, 2013, 08:50:13 AM
Reply #3

A'damn

• Goa
  • Elite Doofer
  • The Emperor Strikes Back
    • goaconstrictor.com
sounded fun =)
was at some friends' house warming and birthday party that evening but hopefully I can make it out to the next one
=)

> GoaConstrictor.Com | TeacherAdam.Com | The Tales of Fried Kale <
de gustibus non est disputandum
January 14, 2013, 11:07:13 AM
Reply #4

Gorilladust

• Administrator
  • Elite Doofer
    • Gorilladust.com
Had a fun time for sure - was great to see everybody!
January 14, 2013, 11:15:01 AM
Reply #5

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
thanks for all the good vibes and positive feedback folks!  Everyone had a great time, let's keep this going next month - we'll have the event posted with lineup details on monday or tuesday hopefully!
January 14, 2013, 03:17:50 PM
Reply #6

Nina

• Elite Doofer
I had a lot of fun! Gorilla and Herbz played some rockin tunes, i wasnt there to hear Will unfortunately!next time I hope!
It was Pantiestheclown's birthday so we went and ate some thai at Thai Fresh before heading over to the Agenda. Happy Birthday Nate!
January 17, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
Reply #7

Veracohr

• Seasoned Stomper
    • Veracohr.com
Damn, I kinda wish I hadn't skipped it now.

Did you do that WAV/MP3 test thing? How did that go?
January 18, 2013, 12:05:49 AM
Reply #8

Asheeley

• Shlam Dancer
  • Elite Doofer
  • Ahh! After 10,000 years I'm free!
.     xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
      XXXXXX   Catsup    XXXXXxxxxXXo
      XXXXXX    R.I.P.      XXXXXxxxxXXoo
      xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx            OoOoooo....
January 18, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
Reply #9

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
We did some tests though admittedly not as many as I wanted to because it was pretty obvious that until you get down to the really low mp3 quality levels you can't tell the difference.

We did two different tracks, Ott - Owl Stretching Time and a psytrance track whose name escapes me now.  I picked them for their good production values and I had them in FLAC.

So, I converted the FLAC file into a 320/256/224/etc/etc/etc all the way down to 96 KBPS.  Then I would create a new audio track in Ableton, put the FLAC file on the top, and the MP3 file next to it.  Then I set some follow actions in the ableton clips so that at the end of 4 bars the clip would automatically make any other clip (that it is connected to) play - essentially randomizing the order in which filse were played.

Briana got a 9/10 on the 96 KBPS test and so she won the event.  We got set up a little late so instead of doing 12 tests of 20 samples a piece we did 5? tests of 10 samples a piece. 

Definitely not ideal, but the whole point of the exercise was to basically show that large speaker systems are designed to make it sound as good as possible and as such quality MP3s are not detectable vs their FLAC/WAV counterparts.  While I do not consider this the end of all everything and I would like to do some more precise tests, my opinion that you are a fool if you talk about being able to 'hear' if someone is playing MP3s stands :P
February 12, 2013, 09:25:12 AM
Reply #10

Amanita

• Inexperienced Dancer
While I do not consider this the end of all everything and I would like to do some more precise tests, my opinion that you are a fool if you talk about being able to 'hear' if someone is playing MP3s stands :P

Good thing the judge was impartial ;)
February 12, 2013, 09:54:50 AM
Reply #11

willsanquil

• Elite Doofer
Hence the specific mention of 'my opinion' :)

Seriously though, no one can tell :)
February 12, 2013, 09:59:50 AM
Reply #12

A'damn

• Goa
  • Elite Doofer
  • The Emperor Strikes Back
    • goaconstrictor.com
lololololol

i like how aminta's first posts back on here are to troll the mp3 v wav debate.

good on ya brian!

no one can tell the difference between a properly encoded 320mp3 and a CD.
no one.
> GoaConstrictor.Com | TeacherAdam.Com | The Tales of Fried Kale <
de gustibus non est disputandum
February 12, 2013, 10:09:59 AM
Reply #13

Amanita

• Inexperienced Dancer
February 12, 2013, 10:12:03 AM
Reply #14

Amanita

• Inexperienced Dancer
Hey I promoted next months Perfect Stranger/ BLT show too ;)